Thursday, November 21, 2013

Assistive Technology


Assistive technology is technology that is used to improve the functional ability of a person with disabilities. As a future teacher, knowing how to use this technology can be greatly beneficial when making adaptations for students in my class with disabilities. My computer calls this feature the Ease of Access Center. I created a PowerPoint presentation demonstrating a few of the features of the Ease of Access Center. First, I demonstrated what the screen looks like when the display is changed to a high contrast extra-large font scheme. I also created a slide that demonstrated the use of the magnifier feature. The ability within a PowerPoint to record your own voice reading the text or even add in sound clips is also another great assistive technology feature.  All of these features are great adaptations for a student with a mild visual impairment. I plan to utilize these features in my classroom. I also demonstrated a few ways for the computer to notify me when a specific key is pressed. This is a great adaptation for a student with a physical disability that has trouble controlling his or her movements which would cause them to accidently engage keys such as caps lock. Another great feature that I demonstrated was the Sound Sentry feature that gives the option to add a visual alert every time the computer produces a sound alert. This adaptation would be great for a students with a mild hearing impairment. I did not realize how many features such as these came on my computer. I plan on using all of these features in my classroom as a way to improve learning for my students with disabilities. The only feature that I had difficulty with was the magnifier. I found it difficult to control the mouse on the lower half of the screen while viewing the upper magnified half of the screen. I feel like increasing the overall text size of the screen is much more efficient than using the magnifier. These assistive technology features can be tied into NETS-T: 2 which is to design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments. I can do this by using these features to customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities.

Here is the link to Assistive technology presentation:
Assistive Technology Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment